08 Nov 10 healthy foods to put in your shopping cart
Going to the grocery store without a concise plan is about as smart as driving in an unfamiliar area without a road map (or these days a GPS device).
Have a healthy plan for what you want to accomplish at the grocery store and you’ll wind up making a lot better choices.
Here are 10 of the most healthy food items to put in your shopping cart at the grocery store:
1. Blueberries – A delicious way to start your day at breakfast, or to snack on during the day, blueberries contain powerful antioxidants that may help lower LDL cholesterol. They have been linked to providing many other health benefits.
2. Yogurt – Includes healthy bacteria that helps bolster the immune system, prevent infection and improve overall health.
3. Apples – An apple a day really does help keep the doctor away. Contains large quantities of vitamin C and fiber.
4. Olive Oil – Has monounsaturated (good) fats, the kind that have been proven to have many health benefits, especially reducing risk for heart disease and cancer
5. Broccoli – Rich in vitamin C, calcium and folic acid, which provide a huge list of health benefits.
6. Tomatoes – Have vitamins A and C, potassium and lycopene, the latter of which provide a powerful antioxidant.
7. Spinach – Loaded with antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and K, in addition to potassium and folate, it doesn’t get much healthier than spinach.
8. Salmon – This fish is a great source for protein and heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight off heart attacks, heart disease, muscle inflammation and memory loss. Choose wild salmon over farm-raised to avoid contaminants.
9. Sweet potatoes – To get a good source of vitamins A and C and fiber, along with cancer-fighting beta-carotene, put sweet potatoes in your cart.
10. Milk Wash it all down with a rich, delicious glass of milk. It has water, protein, calcium and sugar to power you through the day.
Honorable mention: Throw these foods in your carry as well – avocado, eggs, almonds and oatmeal.
At Home Fitness consultant Aaron Dorksen’s blog deals with a variety of fitness topics, ranging from workout tips, motivational ideas and feature stories on how exercise impacts people’s lives. E-mail him with comments, questions or ideas for future blogs at firstname.lastname@example.org