22 Feb 5 exercise tips to tone up quickly before spring break
Spring Break will arrive within the next month or two for countless high school and college students, along with many adults who want to get away as well. If you are among the many people who will be going somewhere warmer and want to improve your physique, here are 5 tips to tone up quickly before spring break.
1. Do high-impact workouts – Instead of plodding along on the treadmill or elliptical machine for a half hour or more, do high-impact, interval training workouts. Go hard for a few minutes at a time, back off to a slower pace for a minute and then repeat the process several times.
2. Take the same approach when you lift weights – work out harder with short rests between sets and strive to finish your routine faster.
This can actually be a more fun way to exercise because you’re working harder and get done a lot quicker.
3. Lift weights 3-4 times per week – Perform strength training exercises 3-4 times per week at home or at a gym. Use dumbbells, barbells, home gyms or even your own body weight to work your muscles.
By increasing muscle mass you also increase resting metabolism, which will help burn more calories even when the body is at rest.
4. Lose weight the right way – It’s always better to try to lose weight by improving your diet and exercising. Crash diets that aren’t helped by exercise can wind up with the body breaking down muscle tissue for fuel.
5. Try to be more active in general – Do things like take the stairs instead of the elevator and park farther away from the store or workplace.
At Home Fitness consultant Aaron Dorksen’s blog deals with a variety of fitness topics, ranging from workout tips, motivational ideas and feature stories on how exercise impacts people’s lives. E-mail him with comments, questions or ideas for future blogs at email@example.com