12 May Count them on one hand: Five simple ways to slim down
If you are feeling a little thick around the middle, but are feeling overwhelmed just thinking about making lifestyle changes, you can count on one hand ways to get started on the right track.
1. It cannot be said enough, drink 8-10 glasses of water at day. It helps you feel full, it supports metabolic functions and it aids in the waste elimination processes of the body.
2. Slow down at meal time. Give yourself 20-minutes to eat a meal so your body has time to process and signal the full-feeling before you overeat.
3. Fill up on vegetables, but not the kind covered in cheesy sauces. Try steamed broccoli with a spritz of lemon juice, or top your turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and fresh avocado instead of mayonnaise.
4. Three brisk 10-minute walks a day are just as beneficial as a 30-minute walk, so take those mini-breaks in your day for a fitness walk.
5. Get enough sleep. Most healthy adults require 7-9 hours of sleep. Some studies suggest not enough sleep revs up your appetite causing you to snack more.
At Home Fitness consultant Aaron Dorksen’s blog deals with a variety of fitness topics, ranging from workout tips, motivational ideas and feature stories on how exercise impacts people’s lives. E-mail him with comments, questions or ideas for future blogs at email@example.com