02 May Five tips to help motivate yourself to exercise
Getting and staying motivated to exercise may be the toughest part of staying fit.
Many people just don’t like to work out, plus it can be very hard to find time to get into the gym.
Here are five tips to help motivate yourself to go to the gym:
1. Schedule your workout time. Many people are always making time for others – from kids, spouse, other family, co-workers, students, etc. – but don’t often make time for themselves. If you think of fitness as “you time“ that might make a difference. Don’t leave getting a workout to chance, actually schedule in a definite time in the day when it can take place.
2. Find a workout partner. For some people this is the best way to stay motivated because a workout partner can make the gym time more enjoyable and it’s also motivational to have someone for encouragement and who is also counting on you to exercise together.
3. Join a workout class. More and more people are joining group exercise classes and this can be a great way to feed off the energy of a group to get fit.
4. Watch TV or a movie while you exercise on the treadmill or elliptical. If you don’t have a TV handy, hook up your iPod or iPhone. This can make the workout more enjoyable and you’ll have a half-hour or more cardio workout done before you even know it.
5. Maintain and upgrade your workout room. If you have a nice home workout room you’re more likely to use it. Set up a fun environment to exercise in, with things like motivational pictures, a TV and stereo. Get your fitness equipment tuned up, repaired or adjusted as needed. Consider buying new fitness equipment, such as a treadmill, elliptical machine and free weights. A great way to never miss going to the gym is to have your own gym that’s located just a walk down the hall at your home.
Bonus tip: Keep a workout log. This is an excellent way to track your progress and set goals.
At Home Fitness consultant Aaron Dorksen’s blog deals with a variety of fitness topics, ranging from workout tips, motivational ideas and feature stories on how exercise impacts people’s lives. Consult a doctor before beginning any new fitness program. E-mail him with comments, questions or ideas for future blogs at email@example.com