Seven tips to eat healthy on a budget
Many people who want to maintain a healthy lifestyle struggle with the cost of eating healthy. However, there are many cost-cutting measures you can take to eat healthy.
Here are seven tips to eat healthy on a budget:
1. Know the season – Eat the fruits and vegetables that are in season. They are almost always less expensive, fresher and have more flavor.
2. Visit local markets – For the ultimate in freshness and savings, find out where the local farmers’ markets are to shop for produce.
3. Search out savings – Check your local newspaper, online, and at stores for coupons and specials that can help lower your food bill.
4. Plan ahead – Make a list ahead of time what healthy meals and snacks you plan to shop for and then stick to it once you’re at the store. And don’t go to the store hungry – that can lead to impulse buys of unhealthy foods.
5. Prepare your own produce – Don’t buy pre-cut, pre-washed, or ready-to-eat to eat foods at the store if you’re really trying to save money.
Buy fruits and vegetables in their most natural state that you take home and cut and wash yourself – it will save money.
6. Plant a garden – This is a fun way to save money and really get in touch with nature.
7. Cook in bulk – Make a big healthy meal and then freeze leftovers to have help you during the week.
At Home Fitness consultant Aaron Dorksen’s blog deals with a variety of fitness topics, ranging from workout tips, motivational ideas and feature stories on how exercise impacts people’s lives. Consult a doctor before making any significant changes in your exercise routine or diet. E-mail him with comments, questions or ideas for future blogs at firstname.lastname@example.org