14 Feb Simple Places to Make Changes in Your Diet
Now that you are working out with your own at-home exercise equipment, you may be looking for some pointers on how you can improve your diet. Whether you are trying to lose weight, maintain your weight or add muscle, a combination of good exercise and eating habits will help you achieve your goal. It is important to remember that you are trying to make a lifestyle change rather than going “on a diet.” Therefore, you need to design a plan that you truly think you can stick to for the rest of your life.
If you are ready to change your eating habits so you can enjoy a healthier lifestyle and body, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Eating 5 to 6 small meals throughout the day is better than eating just 3 large meals, as it spreads out your caloric intake and helps keep your metabolism high
- Foods that are over-processed, high in sugar, high in fat and high in salt should be avoided as much as possible
- Don’t skip breakfast – if you have a hard time fitting breakfast into your day or you simply aren’t hungry in the morning, look into breakfast shakes to help you get your day started
- Plan your menu for a week at a time and shop according to that menu so you can be certain you are eating healthy every day
- Avoid fast food as much as possible
- Give yourself one day per week during which you can “cheat” and indulge your cravings
- Cook meals ahead of time and store them in Tupperware containers or in the freezer so you don’t have to worry about trying to prepare several small meals per day
- Replace whole milk with low-fat skim milk
- Reduce the amount of soda you drink – try sugar free soda or other diet drinks
- Drink plenty of water every day
- Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet – chances are pretty good that you aren’t currently getting enough
If all of this seems too overwhelming for you, don’t try to make all of the changes at once. Rather, look for the small places where you can make changes and gradually work toward enjoying a healthier eating lifestyle.