08 Mar Six benefits of using rowing machines
Rowing machines may not be the first thing most people think of when it comes to important equipment in a gym, or even in the top five or more pieces, but they are one of the best machines you can use.
Few low-impact exercises can help a person burn more calories.
Simulating the motion of rowing on a boat, a rowing machine is a fun, functional exercise with numerous benefits.
Here are six of the top benefits of exercising on a rowing machine:
1. Cardio – Rowing machines are a great way to get a fast, highly effective cardio workout.
2. Weight loss- Rowing can burn up to 125 calories in just 15-20 minutes, or approximately 500 calories in an hour. Combined with a healthy diet, rowing is an excellent way to safely lose weight.
3. Heart healthy – Rowing gives your heart a steady workout, which helps increase blood flow and in turn promotes long-term heart muscle strength.
4. All-around muscle builder – Few exercises incorporate more muscle groups than rowing. A rowing machine works a person’s arms, back, shoulders, abs, legs and hips.
Row forward or backward and change up your strokes at different points of the workout.
5. Stress Reduction – Countless studies show that exercising can improve a person’s overall mood by increasing the amount of endorphins released in the body.
6. Age-friendly – Rowing machines are fun and effective for people of all ages, but many seniors find them particularly effective because they place little or no strain on the back and joints.
At Home Fitness consultant Aaron Dorksen’s blog deals with a variety of fitness topics, ranging from workout tips, motivational ideas and feature stories on how exercise impacts people’s lives. E-mail him with comments, questions or ideas for future blogs at email@example.com